Thank you for taking the time to participate in the National Collegiate DanceSport Championships! We have some rewards to share with you as a show of our thanks. Check out the sections below to see what we have for you as a token of our appreciation.
We’re fond of telling people that being a champion first requires one to be willing to try – you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. This year, more than any other, we think that those of you who have persevered and taken your best shot are certainly championship material.
We have some housekeeping to wrap up, so we’ll do our best to break it into sections so you can get the info you need quickly:
Results for Smooth / Rhythm can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19yv2e0kspNAD5aQL0LhWiSeefoWmaQV1DtlelJ8PjOw/edit?usp=sharing . If you didn’t see your Standard / Latin results, those can be found along with the Smooth / Rhythm results here: https://usadancencdc.org/ncdc-2021-results/ .
Wisdom about all marks:
This is a friendly reminder that your marks are based on what a judge expects to see at a given level at a National Championship. This is a more stringent standard than your typical local competition – all of our judges regularly judge national and international competitions. If you can cut it here, you can cut it anywhere.
Please remember to review the scoring system to understand your marks and the criteria the judges used to score you. If you got an overall score close to four or five, that means you are right where a judge thinks you should be and the dancing is appropriate for the level. If you think about it, 4 – 6 is indeed the expected ‘average’ in a level, if we’re scoring from 0 – 10.
Lastly, remember that marks are not a statement about your worth as a human being. The judges told us they were overjoyed to see everyone dancing and the creative places people danced. They hope you’ll keep at it and keep on working hard.
There’s always room for improvement, so we hope you’ll take advantage of your free critique / the option to get extra critiques to learn more about what next steps you should take. Speaking of critiques…
Don’t forget to use your free critique!
Thanks to an anonymous donor, each competitor will receive one free critique on a video from a judge of their choice. These will be 3-5 sentences in length, and be made available by April 7th or April 21st, depending on when your critique request is submitted. Critique requests must be submitted by April 14th – giving you a week from today to make your decisions. If you’d like more than one critique, you can purchase additional critiques on BallroomCompExpress for $5 here, and you can fill out your request for critiques on this form.
Awards and Scholarships:
Because we didn’t get to see your lovely faces in person this year, we’re going with a different approach to provide scholarships. As you might recall in your welcome note, all competitors who placed in the top five of a category will receive $10 for each top five placement thanks to an anonymous donor. Congratulations! Here’s how we are going to get your scholarship to you:
- We’re going to use the e-mails you provided to BCE to make your account and the emails you provided during your submissions to send you your scholarship electronically via the wonders of venmo. This seemed less intrusive and more secure to us than trying to get your addresses, send all the scholarships by check in the mail, and then hope none of them get lost.
- For those of you without venmo, it’s free to sign up, free to withdraw the payment to a bank account of your choice, and then you can always delete the application (if you want to).
- Now, those of you who didn’t use e-mails you wanted to use for venmo – don’t panic! We’re giving people one week starting from today to e-mail us at email@example.com to request a different email be used. To make the change, we will need you to provide us with your name, the list of events you signed up for, and the email used to register you / submit your forms. We reserve the right to reject change submissions if they look suspicious or make follow up requests.
- Once a week has passed and we’ve given everyone the opportunity to have the right email on file with us, a venmo account aptly named ‘ncdc-scholarships’ will send you a pay request with the amount.
- If 60 days pass and the pay request is not utilized, the scholarship will expire.
Congratulations once again to all of you who placed in the top five in a heat!
Additionally, now that we have all of your results we’re in the process of making competitors awards with their names on them. It’s a special year, so we thought something you could print on nice paper or put on social media might be in order. We’ve attached a dummy example of what your snazzy awards will look like. We hope you’ll find them cool enough to frame! We expect to have the real ones with your names on them on our website Saturday evening. If you find there is a typo on your name, just shoot us an e-mail and we’ll make a new set when we release the national rankings.
As is tradition at NCDC, we will have national rankings, both by cumulative score and by ‘average score per team’. We plan to provide the national rankings next week at the close of the critique window. Stay tuned!
Help us help you!
We’ve put together a survey to help us understand how to best help you in the 2021 – 2022 academic year. We’re here to serve you, so if you can give just 3 minutes of your time we’re sure we’ll pay it back to you through the work we do for you this year. You can fill out the survey here: https://forms.gle/K7cDqKk9i9MYzrmE8 . Thank you very much for your participation!
Thank you once again for sharing your joy of dance with us. We know it’s been a long year, and we hope you are as excited as we are to return to in-person events in the coming months. If you’re sticking around college for another year, we hope you’ll consider joining us around this time next year for NCDC 2022 when it is in person again. If you’re graduating this year, congratulations and we wish you the best of luck as you move into the next phase of your life. Hopefully we’ll see you again at a USA Dance National Qualifying Event, or maybe even the USA Dance National Amateur DanceSport Championships!
Keep on dancing, and keep on smiling everyone!